[ltp] Sick Hard drive?

Dan Borello linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 24 Apr 2004 20:17:00 -0500

Today on my T40 with Gentoo on it I decided to emerge sync (for those of
you who don't know, it updates the package lists similar to apt-get
update).  About half way through I saw some permission denied errors
which I had never seen before.

Investigating the syslog I saw alot of errors (buttom of email).

When gentoo was trying to update the computer would become very
unresponsive and sometimes hang for 20 seconds at a time while the HD
light was solid.

I ran fsck on my /home partition (ext3) and it came up clean.  I
attempted to run fsck (for reiser) on my root partition and I was unable
to due to it being mounted read/write.  I booted into Knoppix and ran
fsck on my / partition.  It ran for a while, then halted and gave a long
error message about bad blocks that the hd couldn't hide.  It suggested
a new hard drive as where there is one bad block there are many.

Do you think that the HD is about to die?  It is running fine right
now.  I would really love to not have to replace the hard drive.  If the
drive is going bad, would I be able to prove this to IBM, seeing as I
don't have windows on that partition.

Any insight is appreciated.

dan

syslog:

vs-13070: reiserfs_read_locked_inode: i/o failure occurred trying to
find stat data of [31968 31969 0x0 SD]
hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=24924825,
sector=24924824
end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 24924824
vs-13070: reiserfs_read_locked_inode: i/o failure occurred trying to
find stat data of [1292553 1299615 0x0 SD]
hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=24912589,
sector=24912584
end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 24912584
vs-13070: reiserfs_read_locked_inode: i/o failure occurred trying to
find stat data of [31555 1292977 0x0 SD]

--
Dan Borello <dborello@uiuc.edu>