[ltp] Cpufreq and ALSA

T. Ivarsson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:07:05 -0400

--------- Original Message ---------
DATE: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 15:21:24
From: Åsmund Grammeltvedt <asmundg@stud.cs.uit.no>

>I seem to have some problems with the sound on my T30 when I change CPU
>speed. The sound starts to break and tear as the speed changes but clears
>up when the speeds return to where it was when the playback started.
>
>My guess is that it is some kind of timing issue, but I haven't found
>anything that works and I have gotten it with all the kernels from 2.6.0.
>Any ideas?

It sounds to me as if your CPU freq is so low that it can't process all the audio-info in time. There may be two solutions to this:

1) Don't reduce the CPU speed so much.
2) Increase the audio buffer size (can be changed in KDE's Sound System). If you are just listening to music, then a high buffer is Ok. If you are playing virtual instruments, then you want as low buffer as possible since you want to have a quick response (in the music-world called low latency).

Hope this helps,
T.