[ltp] DVD+/-R and Region-free

Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:42:39 +0100 (BST)

I'd like to play DVD+R disks on my Matshita UJDA745 DVD/CDRW supplied
with my T40, and I'm told from the list archives that upgrading my
firmware from version 1.02 (which was supplied) will do the job.
But I'm trying to understand the region-free issue.

At the moment, via linux I was pleasantly surprised to find I could
play both region 1 and 2 disks.  Reading the list, I gather this may
be the libdvdcss stuff, and if I haven't played a DVD via Windows
(can't swear I have) then the region won't have been set.

So questions: if I upgrade the software to region 1.03 via the IBM
firmware, will I lose my ability to play region 1 and 2 via linux?
And should I not risk ever playing a DVD via Windows if I don't want
to lose this?  Or does libdvdcss remove all worries for this either
way?

Finally I guess it would be nice for someone to confirm that 1.03
does add the ability to play DVD+R too.

Thanks!