[ltp] ACPI and TP 770

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:08:59 -0400

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 18:34:09 +0200
Andre Timmermann <_LTP.darktim@darktim.de> wrote:

> OK, there are some reasons:

[snip thermal stuff - never had need to monitor temperature on my
Thinkpads.]

> - with ACPI the fan stops

It stops with APM - or at least it did on my 600.  I wonder if there's a
BIOS setting that controls this somewhere.   I sold my 600, but I never
had a problem with the fan constantly running under APM.

> - with ACPI the battery should last longer (my battery is broken, with
> full battery I have 45 minutes, so I am happy with every minute more)

You said suspend-to-disk worked with ACPI - that's the swsusp stuff,
right?  (http://swsusp.sourceforge.net/).  Is that any faster than the
BIOS suspend-to-disk?  I might try ACPI myself if suspend-to-disk was
quick.  I have a 448M 770Z and a 320M 560E and while suspend-to-disk works
fine on both under APM, the process takes FOREVER to finish.  This is with
5400 RPM 40G drives, too.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/