[ltp] DVD+/-R and Region-free

Wed, 28 Apr 2004 19:54:53 +0100 (BST)

Thanks for your replies.  Still a bit confused!

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, René Castberg wrote:

> You will notice that you region counter decreases every time you use a
> different disc....
> Unfortunatly i don't know of any good software to check this under
> linux.
> I have managed to patch my drive to region free, using information from
> www.rpc1.org, its not the easiest patch to do.
> if you want i can try and dig up the information from my disc.
> The reason that windows couldn't play different region files is that it
> has a region set in the software as well, because of decss linux doesn't
> have this problem.

Just so I'm clear about this: are you implying that my ability to
play both Region 1 and 2 might disappear in linux?  Are you saying
that if I play a DVD in Windows more than my "free" number of times,
it'll lock it (the hardware) for linux too, and libdvdcss won't get
around this?  Hope not.

This wasn't my original question, but I'd like to be clear about this
too now...

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Loic Minier wrote:

> > So questions: if I upgrade the software to region 1.03 via the IBM
> > firmware, will I lose my ability to play region 1 and 2 via linux?
> > And should I not risk ever playing a DVD via Windows if I don't want
> > to lose this?  Or does libdvdcss remove all worries for this either
> > way?
>
>  Sorry, I did not update my firmware, but I can tel you that "RPC 1"
>  drives aren't built anymore (we only see "RPC 2" drives now), and that
>  the libdvdcss "disc" method is only guaranteed to work with RPC 1
>  drives.
>    I believe other libdvdcss methods such as title and key should still
>  work though.

Thanks Loic, I understand a little better now.  What I'm just trying to
make sure about is, if I upgrade my T40 Matshita UJDA745 DVD firmware
to allow me to play DVD+R, that I won't lose my ability to play Region
1 and 2 in linux.  If anyone can confirm this, I'd be very grateful.