[ltp] Suspend to Disk - Kenrel 2.6.4 vs. r50p

Joshua Megerman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 08:26:01 -0400

> My way of software-suspending: Grab the mm-Patches, apply them, pass=20
> resume=3D/dev/<yourswappartitionhere> to the kernel, and smile....
> Works for me with 2.6.5-mm, swsusp.
>=20
I have an R50p too, and the only thing I've gotten to work is using BIOS
hibernation and APM (no ACPI).  It works perfectly (FN+F12), even though
suspend (FN+F4/apm --suspend) doesn't restore the video.  The only down =
side
is that I need a ~1.7GB FAT partition (1.5GB RAM + 128M VRAM) with the
suspend file, but it's worth it to have functional hibernation.

I'm using 2.6.4-gentoo with the laptop-mode patch (only) on top of it =
(not
that I have that working yet...).  I tried going 2.6.5, but it appears =
hang the machine somewhere on the sound system and I haven't had time to
test it further yet.

Has anyone out there found the perfect combination of power management
configuration, patches and tools for an R50p?  I'm mostly gonna be using =
it
plugged in anyway, but maximizing battery life and the ability to =
suspend(or
hibernate)/resume are really useful.

Josh

Joshua Megerman
SJGames MIB #5273 - OGRE AI Testing Division
You can't win; You can't break even; You can't even quit the game.
  - Layman's translation of the Laws of Thermodynamics
thinkpad@honorablemenschen.com