[ltp] X31 - where to hibernate?

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 01 Aug 2004 18:47:43 +1200

I don't know if your system is like mine...

I have a T21, working well generally with Libranet (Debian).  It
Suspends and Hibernates more or less reliably (enough Suspends and the
framebuffer console display goes bad, but I haven't chased it down yet).

Hibernate is a BIOS function on this machine, and it requires a FAT
filesystem to hibernate to.  Mine is FAT32, and I don't remember if
that's a requirement, or if just FAT will do.  But it won't hibernate to
ext? or any other standard Linux filesystems that I know of.

I've noted vague references to people using the same partition for both
swap and hibernate.  In the distant past, I've used a scheme that shared
the swap partition between Linux and Windows.  When activating it for
Windows, it was only necessary to copy in an image that overwrote the
beginning of the partition to be enough to fool Windows into using it -
I don't remember if it was formatted FAT completely.  Perhaps zeroing
the partition might be enough?

On the Linux on Laptops site, there is a link to a project that allows
systems that don't hibernate to hibernate anyway, handled by Linux.  I
don't need it and haven't looked into it, so have no comment beyond
that.

Regards,
Bret