[ltp] Does ACPI work on a TP 600x?

Brian Kendig linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 02 Aug 2004 13:57:12 -0400

When I try to use ACPI (with a 2.6.7 kernel that I compiled) on my
ThinkPad 600x, I get these errors in /var/log/messages:

   kernel: ACPI disabled because your bios is from 1999 and too old
   kernel: You can enable it with acpi=force

When I use acpi=force in the boot options, ACPI will load, but it
doesn't look like it's working properly - it doesn't wake from sleep,
for example.

I'm using the latest version (1.11) of the 600x BIOS from IBM.  Problem
is, ALL of the IBM BIOS files have the exact same date - 30 Nov 1999!
(see http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-4FYS2U.html)  So I
don't know whether my BIOS is current enough but it just has a stupid
date on it, or whether all 600x BIOS updates are still too old for Linux.

Has anyone else been able to get ACPI working reliably on a 600x?

   - B