[ltp] custom kernel for SuSE 9.1

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 08:32:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Home wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 17:36 -0400, Eben King wrote:
> > I'm trying to make a custom kernel for my SuSE 9.1 system,

> > The errors are similar to (similar
> > because I'm copying by hand):
>
> > hda: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error}
> > hda: read_intr: error=0x10 { SectorIdNotFound }, LBASect=58542742, sector=58542742
> >
> > That pair repeated, with occasional
> >
> > ide0: reset: success
> >
> > or
> >
> > end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 58542742
> >
> > thrown in.  LBASect and the two sectors are the same number.  (Is 58542742
> > decimal or hex?

Decimal

> > How big are the sectors?)  I didn't see them changing.

Actually I did.  9 errors per sector.  Then it either gave up or
succeeded, couldn't tell.

> > but they went by rather fast (even with a 60-line screen).

> I've done this quite easily but as ever when configuring a kernel its
> easy to leave out vital options.
>
> Best option with SuSE I've found is:
>
> 1) Make mrproper
> 2) Make cloneconfig - copies running kernel
> 3) Make menuconfig - make changes as required
> 4) Make bzImage, modules etc

Thanks, I'm familiar with the sequence.  I don't have a problem with that,
just with the options to select during the configuration.  I mud=st have
selected wrongly, as I get all those hundreds of errors.

> If you keep on getting these problems then I'd suggest you remove your
> kernel source & reinstall - mine recently got mildly trashed as the YoU
> patched it

There have been no patches.  It's pure source, straight from
ftp.kernel.org.

I used to have this working, on the same machine, with the same kernel
version.  Then I noticed my swap partition wasn't big enough for
suspend-to-disk, so I repartitioned and reinstalled.  Bad idea; I could
have done it in stages, keeping / and /usr in tarballs when I was
modifying them.

Anyhow, I didn't save my .config file and could never get it to work.

ARIES:  The look on your face will be priceless when you find that 40lb
watermelon in your colon.  Trade toothbrushes with an albino dwarf, then
give a hickey to Meryl Streep.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_