[ltp] Re: dothan 1800 and cpufreq

Stephan Holl linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 7 Aug 2004 10:39:14 +0200

Hello Bertrand,

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 15:56:41 -0700 Bertrand Servin
<servin@stat.washington.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Stephan Holl wrote:
>
> > has anybody from you set up a new intel centrino Pentium M 1800 MHZ
> > with cpufreq on a recent kernel?!
>
> I have a Dothan Intel Pentium M Processor 735 1700 MHz, and it works
> great !

AFAIK this is the last supported Pentium M in the vanilla- kernel 2.6.7.

> > My Kernel always complains about an unsupported kernel...
>
> Do you mean you have a line saying something like :
> "unsupported Intel ... please send /proc/cpuinfo to jeremy@goop.org"?

Yes, indeed, that is the given line....

> if so, I do have this warning but I can throttle speed anyway.
>
> > My Kernel: 2.6.8-rc2 on debian unstable
>
> I use a 2.6.7 vanilla

How do you throttle your processor manually?! When I power my maschine
on without ac plugged in, it runs permanently with 600 MHZ. When I
switch it on plugged in, it runs with full 1800 MHZ all the time.

cpufreqd complains about some missing /proc/XXX thingies...

> > All the relevant kernel-options are set, also the bk-cpufreq.patch
> > was applied, but without success.
>
> Are you sure the default behaviour for the cpufreq mode is "userspace"
> in the kernel ?
>
> I am using the daemon speedfreqd which you can find here :
> http://www.goop.org/~jeremy/speedfreq/
> and it is started by init (at bootime) after installation.

Perhaps I should give it a try with speedfreq. Thanks for the tip.

> I then use a little dockapp to throttle "user-friendly" :
> http://www.dockapps.org/file.php/id/244

cool, I will try.

anyway, thanks for your suggestions.

cheers