[ltp] Softmodem in R51 doesnt work in SuSE 9.1

Jeffrey Taylor linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 8 Aug 2004 14:40:30 -0500

Quoting Uwe R??ner <uwe.roessner@gmx.de>:
> Hi Jeffrey
>
> On Freitag, 30. Juli 2004 17:09 Jeffrey Taylor wrote:
>
> Sorry for my late response...
>
> > > I have a problem with a new Thinkpad R51 running under SuSE 9.1 Linux.
> > > The internal softmodem doesn?t work (I can ? speak? with the modem, but
> > > it doesn ?t dial). YAST is able to identify the modem and I can configure
> > > it (the package smartlink-softmodems is installed)
> >
> > Install the following packages:
> >
> > km_smartlink-softmodem-2.9.6-79
> > smartlink-softmodem-2.9.6-79
>
> I have done this, but without success. The modem doesn?t dial and after some
> seconds I get ?no carrier?.
>
> Thank you for your hint.

On my T41, it works, but I don't hear the dialing, dial tone, modem
tones and linkup seems to take a long time, over a minute.  None of
the fancy modem packages (wvdial, smpppd) worked for me.  I ended up
copying the /etc/ppp/* and /etc/chatscripts/* over from the old Debian
laptop and using pppd directly.

Jeffrey