[ltp] dual head DVI + LCD on T4x?

Matthias Himber linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 09 Aug 2004 14:35:25 +0200

Am Montag, 9. August 2004 12:19 schrieb Andr=E9 Wyrwa a.wyrwa-at-gmx.de:
> Hi,
>
> i know this has been discussed before on the list, but i don't find the
> mails anymore.
>
> The last days i was trying to figure how to get dual head with one
> screen on DVI (port replicator) and the other on the internal LCD to
> work (on a T41p, with xorgs radeon driver).
>
> I managed to get all kinds of strange behaviours, just not the one i
> wanted.
>
> Has anyone gotten this to success? Could you send your config, please?
> And is enabling DVI + LCD in the bios correct?
>
> Andr=E9.

I have been playing around a lot with the DVI Port, but never achieved much=
=20
success. With recent BIOSes, DVI out works for the standard VGA text consol=
e=20
as well as _some_ VGA (640x480 16 Colors) Graphics, namely the BIOS boot=20
screens and the GRUB Graphics modes (standard as well as SuSE's gfxmenu). T=
he=20
Linux VESA console fails, and I have never managed to get any graphics outp=
ut=20
on DVI with the XFree/XOrg radeon driver (not even the CVS versions), even=
=20
though the logs show that the driver was able to establish DDC2=20
communications with the monitor and fetch the modelines, etc correctly. The=
=20
propietary ATI fglrx driver did work, however I couldn't use it for the usu=
al=20
reasons that have been discussed more than enough here.
I've pretty much given up on it, as right now the fglrx drivers refuse to w=
ork=20
at all on my system. I have little hope that the situation improves, ATI is=
=20
at the top of the market right now with little credible threat to them, and=
=20
their main clientele are gamers (read: Windows users), so unlike nVidia the=
y=20
have absolutely no incentive to make their drivers work well on any system=
=20
but Windows, or for any other purpose than gaming. This is very noticeable,=
=20
even on Windows, the quality gap between ATI's and nVidia's drivers is=20
_huge_. Maybe IBM could apply some pressure, but I doubt it - with the=20
current GPU market being what it is, not using ATI cards in anything but=20
lowest-budget Laptops is plain not possible. And IBM doesn't do=20
lowest-budget.
Regards,
	Matthias "Hope your flatpanel has fine-tuning" Himber
--=20
Warning: Attachments may be attached.
All contents (c) unlesss Dangerous