[ltp] dual head DVI + LCD on T4x?

Mon, 09 Aug 2004 19:22:35 +0200

Hi,

> I have been playing around a lot with the DVI Port, but never achieved much
> success. With recent BIOSes, DVI out works for the standard VGA text console
> as well as _some_ VGA (640x480 16 Colors) Graphics, namely the BIOS boot
> screens and the GRUB Graphics modes (standard as well as SuSE's gfxmenu). The
> Linux VESA console fails, and I have never managed to get any graphics output
> on DVI with the XFree/XOrg radeon driver (not even the CVS versions), even
> though the logs show that the driver was able to establish DDC2
> communications with the monitor and fetch the modelines, etc correctly. The
> propietary ATI fglrx driver did work, however I couldn't use it for the usual
> reasons that have been discussed more than enough here.

Hmm...if you are talking about DVI-only output, i have that working as
far as i'd like to go...meaning radeon framebuffer driver at 1600x1200x8
as well as xorgs radeon driver at 1600x1200x24.

> Maybe IBM could apply some pressure, but I doubt it - with the
> current GPU market being what it is, not using ATI cards in anything but
> lowest-budget Laptops is plain not possible. And IBM doesn't do
> lowest-budget.

When i see IBMs driver update cycles i doubt that, too. ;-)

However, as far as windows concerns us...i'm using the DNA drivers and
am very happy with those, they have everything i want.

André.