[ltp] Wireless LAN PCMCIA card

Jim Harvey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 22:24:35 -0500

Mauro Maroni wrote:
> Hello everybody:
>
> I am planning to purchase a wireless AP to be used at home, and also a
> PCMCIA wireless card for my TP600E and T20 machines.
> Any recommendation for that? I am just looking for a card not very hard to
> configure in Linux, good performance and compatibility (what else can I
> expect? :-)
> Any suggestion is welcome. I am using Slackware with 2.4.X kernels at this
> moment, but will move to 2.6.x soon

I recently got a Microsoft MN-520 card working in this 770Z (yes, Microsoft.
Fry's had them for nine bucks).  I'm running Fedora Core 2 and it came up as
eth0 without any additional software.  FC2 comes with the Wireless Tools from
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Tools.html which was able
to configure this Prisim PCMCIA card.  I put an iwconfig for the SSID and for
the WEP key in my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file.  There's probably a better way to do
that but what do I know.  I do recommend Jean's web site as a place to start
researching wireless.

I am using a Belkin F5D6231-4 802.11b router configured as an Access Point only.
I would not recommend this for Linux as the web server user interface would NOT
configure with either Mozilla or Firefox.  Java errors all over the place.  I
had to find a computer with Internet Explorer 5, but it seems to do the job now
that it's set up. The Belkin is attached to my lan which has a seperate
Smoothwall 2 box for internet access.
--
  After Armageddon, there will be only three things left: Kudzu vines creeping
  over the ruins, Cockroaches feasting on the blackened ashes, and somewhere