[ltp] Wireless LAN PCMCIA card

Tue, 10 Aug 2004 15:40:27 +0200

I used to use a Linkpro WL2000C in my T23, first. Then i switched to
using a Netgear MA701 compact flash card within an CFtoPCMCIA adaptor,
which also worked great. Both are prism based. The linkpro worked with
the standard driver, while the netgear required the spectrum24 driver,
because it doesn't have the firmware in the card.

If you want to go for g type wireless you should take care to get an
atheros, prism or texas instruments chip. Lots of PCMCIA cards in this
area are using prism chips, the driver (prism54) is also quite evolved.
For atheros you will need madwifi, which also seems to be quite evolved.
Lastly for texas instruments chips driver development started rather
recently. So this shouldn't be your first choice.

Concerning an access point...i'll upgrade my fli4l based linux router to
g-wireless soon, using a Allnet ALL0792 PCI card (prism). Don't know if
you should consider this a recommendation. ;-)

Regards,
André.