[ltp] 600E partitioning for DOS/Windows 2000/Linux triple-boot

Eric Covener linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:37:20 -0400

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 15:24:42 -0700, Michelle Klein-Hass
<bosslady@msgeek.com> wrote:
> Anyway, my friend Chad Page let me know that there is a "gotcha" about running
> a drive that is >8GB: neither Linux nor Windows boot successfully from a boot
> partition that is more than 8GB away from sector zero.
>
> I need to come up with a partitioning strategy that can help me keep the two
> main OSes, plus DOS for using PS2.EXE and maintaining a hibernation file,
> happy.
>
> Would Loadlin perhaps be a solution? Boot into DOS and kick into Linux via
> LOADLIN.EXE? Or can a simpler solution be found that can allow LILO or GRUB
> to manage the booting?

Consider first two filesystems are small (small boot filesystem for
linux, small fat16 fs for DOS), a third large filesystem for
windows2000.  Lilo or grub on the MBR shouldn't have any trouble
booting the others.

In my experience it's unwise to split  the Win2k boot and system
partitions, so I wouldn't try to get fancy with that part.

However, the 1024 cylinder issue is only a problem for older versions
of lilo and  lilo on older PC's (one howto gives 1998 as a ballpark
year).

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com