[ltp] T40p, external monitor, DDC

Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:32:44 -0400

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:53:57 +0200, Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
> I've just discovered that XFree86 doesn't seem to honor manually
> configured refresh rates *at* *all*.  If I use a cable that doesn't
> allow for DDC to connect the monitor, the only available mode on the
> external monitor is 640x480 at 60 Hz.  If DDC is available, a
> reasonable mode is available (1024x768 at 75 Hz), but I'd really like
> to override these settings (a higher refresh rate would be nice).
> Furthermore, if I open the laptop lid and close it again (possibly
> pressing Fn+F7 to bring the external monitor back), the refresh rate
> falls back to 60 Hz (which is clearly insufficient if you use a white
> background).
>
> Any suggestions how I should fix this?  Do I have to add mode lines
> manually?

if DDC is not available you'll need to set the monitor hsync and
vrefresh ranges manually in the monitor section of your config file.
then you can you whatever modes are within the monitor's ranges.
Right now the radeon driver doesn't really support bios/acpi events
(like lid, fn keys, etc.).  to support them properly the mode and
monitor would need to be validated on each change event.   It'll get
there eventually.

Alex