[ltp] cdrecord on FC2 (broken)

Mendel Cooper linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 10:42:36 -0700 (MST)

I was trying to get cdrecord (Fedora Core 2) to work on my TP770Z,
with external CD writer in a USB box. No matter what I tried, nothing
worked. Very strange, since this same hardware setup had worked fine
with cdrecord on Red Hat 9.0.

Then, I thought to look on the cdrecord site --
http://www.fokus.fhg.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/cdrecord.html
-- and, sure enough, the author, Joerg Schilling, states that the
packaged Red Hat and Mandrake versions are hacked and will not work. So,
I downloaded the latest rpm from rpmfind.net. And . . . lo and behold,
it works. It works under FC2, and with the default settings, no less.

The Fedora team has, in general, done a great job and they deserve praise,
but they sure screwed this one up. I could go into a rant about how if'n
it ain't broke, don't fix it, but I think I'll spare everyone here that.

Mendel