[ltp] cdrecord on FC2 (broken)

Dax Kelson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 13:23:18 -0600

On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 11:42, Mendel Cooper wrote:
> I was trying to get cdrecord (Fedora Core 2) to work on my TP770Z,
> with external CD writer in a USB box. No matter what I tried, nothing
> worked. Very strange, since this same hardware setup had worked fine
> with cdrecord on Red Hat 9.0.
>
> Then, I thought to look on the cdrecord site --
> http://www.fokus.fhg.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/cdrecord.html
> -- and, sure enough, the author, Joerg Schilling, states that the
> packaged Red Hat and Mandrake versions are hacked and will not work. So,
> I downloaded the latest rpm from rpmfind.net. And . . . lo and behold,
> it works. It works under FC2, and with the default settings, no less.
>
> The Fedora team has, in general, done a great job and they deserve praise,
> but they sure screwed this one up. I could go into a rant about how if'n
> it ain't broke, don't fix it, but I think I'll spare everyone here that.

I'd take everything that Joerg Schilling says about "hacked up" with a
grain of salt. Go read the gigantic flame fest on the linux-kernel
mailing list this past week for the reasoning.

FWIW, under FC2 I've burned fine with the included cdrecord on my T42p
with both internal burner and external USB burner.

Dax Kelson
Guru Labs