[ltp] WirelessG LAN PCMCIA card

Harry Mangalam linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 08:50:32 -0700

Not the LAN card, but the AP - Linux Journal just had an article about the
Linksys (Now Cisco) WRT54G series of wireless router/access points that are
cheap (~$50 with rebates), Linux based, and are now being modified by a number
of people to provide several very neat upgrades - increase radio power by 3fold,
add sshd, netfiltering (it is linux after all) etc.
The WRT54G can act as both an accesspoint and router.  There's also a new
version (WRT54GS) that has double the RAM and ROM for better upgradeability and
some kind of Speedbooster tech for ~$20 more (I learned this too late..)

and
http://www.a42.com/node/view/438
and links therein

I bought an earlier b version, was very happy with the web-based config and
remote monitoring capabilities to keep my Mum happy cross country and have just
bought the WRT54G version.  So far so good, but I haven't yet tried to flash the
upgrade onto it.

[not affiliated with Linksys or Broadcom tho I live in Irvine]

hjm

--
Cheers, Harry
Harry J Mangalam - 949 856 2847 (vox; email for fax) - hjm@tacgi.com