[ltp] ibm-acpi-0.2 swap requirements

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 15 Aug 2004 16:24:19 -0400 (EDT)

OK, I got, compiled and installed ibm-acpi-0.2 (after compiling ACPI _in_
and APM _out_ of the kernel).  I hit Fn-F4 (which is supposed to invoke a
suspend-to-RAM, but as long as I know what it's going to do, that's OK).
It went through its rigamarole, and started dumping stuff to swap.  But
the kernel panic()ed when it ran out of swap!

Now, how much stuff has to fit in there?  RAM, video memory, caches,
CPU/GPU registers, various state, what else?  I have 768 MB (786432 kB)
RAM [1], 32 MB (32768 kB) video memory [2], 1024 kB (1 MB) cache [3] and
944044 kB swap [1] (of which, BTW, none is used).  Subtract out those that
I mentioned and that leaves 123820 kB (~121 MB).  I rather doubt registers
and state would fill all of that.

So what am I missing?  Is there something else that has to fit in there?
Is there some command-line switch I missed?

[1] free
[2] /var/log/XFree86.0.log
[3] /proc/cpuinfo

A. A Top Poster