[ltp] Re: ibm-acpi-0.2

Mon, 16 Aug 2004 00:29:27 +0200

Hi,

> > How does this integrate with the existing ACPI framework (i mean the
> > general kernel acpi driver, proc and sysfs interfaces and acpid)?
>
> It uses the existing ACPI framework to generate more ACPI events and
> allow control of ThinkPad specific devices. In particular, it creates
> several files under /proc/acpi/ibm that show status and allow control
> of various features. Events are generated through /proc/acpi/event and
> can be handled via acpid.

OK, got it, compiled it, and did the basic get it to work things. My
impression so far: great pieces of code! ;-)

One minor thing...since this module is in it's current state external to
the kernel, shouldn't it be installed to /lib/modules/<version>/acpi
instead of /lib/modules/<version>/kernel/drivers/acpi ? This would
prevent the need of reinstalling after kernel recompilation. Or is there
some other reason to put it into the kernel tree?

Thanks also for the included scipts and acpi event config files.
Could you please send me a copy of that /sbin/service file you are using
there? Since i don't have a distro but using LFS i'd be interested in
implementing something similar. I can guess the role it's playing, but
i'd like to have a look into the details of how it's done for your
system.

> TPB is not using ACPI. For whatever reason, some Fn combinations
> (e.g. for LCD brightness and sound volume) do not generate ACPI events
> but show up in /dev/nvram instead. TPB monitors /dev/nvram and acts
> accordingly. I use both TPB and ibm-acpi to get full control of the Fn
> key combinations.

Yepp. understood this. Just was afraid that there's not much way of
influencing the behaviour. But now that i've seen the implementation i
realized that it just gives me everything i want.

Didn't test the docking stuff so far.

However, there are some questions that raised on my system...

1. The mysql daemon doesn't like to quit when suspend asks it to. So i
have to manually (aka via acpi action script) shut it down and restart.
Is this confirmed on other systems?

2. I did a hybernate with a badly configured hibernate script. After
powering up again and resuming, the hard disk led was always on. Even
after a clean reboot it still showed the same behaviour. Any ideas?
(Didn't check now after powering down and up again. Filesystem is
reiserfs 3.6.)

Ok, so far i think that's it. Looks like everything works so far and i'm
pretty amazed about that.

Thx a lot again,
André.