[ltp] Can't boot recent kernels on T40p

Greg Meyer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 07:59:27 -0400

On Friday 13 August 2004 04:44 pm, Loic Minier wrote:
> =A0Since something like 2.6.8-rc1, I can't boot any of the
> =A02.6.8-rc*-mm*, they all get stuck in the "Calibrating delay loop..."
> =A0phase.
>
> =A0I compile my kernels with almost everything in (on another machine,
> =A0"the Debian way", for mutliple machines) and that might pull in a
> =A0problematic module. =A0I use ACPI, and the only thing I pass to my ker=
nel
> =A0right now is "nolapic".

It is my understanding that there is a bug in the mm patches for 2.6.7 and=
=20
later kernels that prevent the lapic from being disabled at runtime.  I saw=
 a=20
message to LKML that said it must be disabled in the kernel config and=20
compiled in.  I have not tried this, so I cannot comment on whether this is=
=20
correct or not as I have elected to stay on a 2.6.5 kernel for the time=20
being.

The only problem I experienced with 2.6.7 on my T41 without lapic disabled =
is=20
that the machine won't power down at shutdown.  You must use the power butt=
on=20
after the shutdown sequence completes.
=2D-=20
/g