[ltp] Spilled Water on R32

James Ryan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:19:44 -0400

Hi,

I recently spilled a full glass of water on my running R32 (sigh).  It
instantly switched off, and I could hear the water boiling as it hit the
CPU...there was actually steam coming from my keyboard.  Since then, I
only use travel mugs with lids near my PCs...

Anyway, after taking it apart and drying everything out, then putting it
back together, I only have two problems:

1. DVD/CD in ultrabay is not recognized...this problem was intermittent
at first (after the water incident) but now it never recognizes it.  I
don't mind, since I have a new 42p, so I just SMBShare the DVD on that.
Incidentally, the DVD/CD drive works in other thinkpads, so it's
probably a problem with the controller or the ultrabay.

2. Cannot run on battery power.  Well, I rarely take it out anywhere,
since I'm using it more as a file server/firewall, but it is annoying.
Has anyone ever repaired/replaced the battery charger unit on the R32?
Is it a separate unit?

Any help would be appreciated...

On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 06:20, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 2004-08-14 at 20:25, Ajai Khattri wrote:
> > Do you think the battery is dead or is there something more seriously
> > wrong?
>
> Try removing the battery and plug the thinkpad into AC - then boot it.
> If the thinkpad boots ok it's a battery related problem.
>
> Regards,
> Brix
> --
> Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@gimp.org>

James F. Ryan
Chief Executive Officer
Total Information Security, Ltd.

Unit 15, 18 Edenvale Crescent, Mt. Eden, New Zealand
P: +649 353 1316 | M: +64 21 528690 | F: +649 353 1316
http://www.totalinfosecurity.com