[ltp] Re: SuSE 9.1 on Thinkpad, cont'd.

Tue, 17 Aug 2004 20:30:49 -0400

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 12:44:46AM -0400, Eben King wrote:
> After futzing with the kernel compilation (2.6.7) on my T40 a bit,

I was just wondering, did building your own 2.6.7 kernel for your T40 fix
the problems you were having with the hard disk I/O errors?

I've been having a similar problem. I have a similar T40 running SuSE 9.1
with their kernel. Every so often the machine will lock up solid while the
hard disk is spun down and is in the process of being spun up. Once frozen,
the hard drive access LED is stuck lit. Once in a blue moon the machine will
only freeze for 5-10 seconds and then unfreeze. If I do a dmesg at that
point I see all kinds of hd I/O errors and reiserfs errors. But usually at
that point I get all kinds of strange filesystem related things happening,
like files or directories I was just working in will be empty. A reboot
fixes it and brings everything back once reiserfs does its fsck/recovery
thing. And these things only happen in linux and only when running on
battery power and only when the drive is spun down and is about to be spun
back up. So far none of these issues caused permanent filesystem damage.

I was thinking of trying a newer fresh built kernel or a different
filesystem, but that's a lot of work so I just thought I'd see if your
problem was solved by doing that.

Thanks