[ltp] Re: IBM R40 2722-GDG DynamicClocks

Wed, 18 Aug 2004 09:16:06 -0400

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:32:26 -0700, Bertrand Servin
<servin@stat.washington.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Florian Knobloch wrote:
> > Hello all!
> >
> > I have compiled xorg-x11-6.7.99.2 which includes Alex's Dynamic
> > Frequency code. (on gentoo)
> >
> > My notebook includes the ATI Radeon 7500 mobility. ACPI and Powernow
> > daemon are running.
> >
> > When I use
> > Option       "DynamicClocks" "true"
> > in xorg.conf
> > i get the same results like when not using it in terms of power rate
> > (about 18W).
>
> Are you sure about the option name. It seems to me that I use:
> Option  "DynamicPM" "true"
>           ^^^^^^^^^
>
> I do not have my thinkpad here to check, but you may give it
> a try.

I changed the name when I applied the patch to make it more readily
reflect what it does: dyncamically scale the clocks.  unfortunately it
doesn't yet support the other aspects of powerplay.  For me and
several others, it seems to provide a moderate boost in battery life.
I've never really looked into the power draw on my battery so I can't
really comment on that.

Alex