[ltp] Discovering reading/writing processes

Loic Minier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 15:14:51 +0200

     Hi,

 I would like to see which processes are preventing my HD to spindown or
 are bringing it up when it should sleep.

 Right now, I'm using :
 watch -n 0 --differences=cumulative "lsof /boot / | awk '/COMMAND/
 {print}; { if (\$5 ~ /REG/) if (\$4 ~ /[0-9]/) print }'"

 an dit helped identifying most processes writing to log files or
 updating some state on disk.

 But I'm still searching for _the_ culprit, and I can't put my hand on
 it...

 How do you track suck a process?

 (I know most people are running ext2 in laptop mode here, I personally
 never tried laptop mode, and I'm using XFS.)

   Regards,

--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>