[ltp] Re: ibm-acpi-0.3

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:38:24 +1000

On 20 Aug 2004, Andr wrote:
>> LCD does not turn off with Fn-F3, even with "echo off > /proc/acpi/ibm/lcd"
>
> check if your root user has access to your running X server. That was
> the problem for me (that he didn't).
>
> BTW: Does anyone know the proper procedure to grant X access to root
> when using GDM? I tried shuffling with xauth for some time, but i got
> confused about it again, since sometimes it worked (shuffling keys
> between the users), sometimes not. Now my solution is to disable X
> access control on startup, but i'd like to know the proper solution.

You need to grant 'root' access to your system by giving them access to
a suitable shared key with the right privileges.

Read the 'Xsecurity' manual page for more details on how to do this; the
short form is to add their ~/.Xauthority file to your server for local
connections, pretty much.[1]

Alternately, write a little script that does 'su - <user> -c "xdpms
off"' for the right value of '<user>' to have access. :)

      Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  This means that anyone who can read that file can access your X
     session with full control, so do take care about it.

--
A blow with a word strikes deeper than a blow with a sword.
        -- Robert Burton, _The Anatomy of Melancholy_