[ltp] T23 / ibm-acpi

Sat, 21 Aug 2004 14:00:58 +0300

--wxDdMuZNg1r63Hyj

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 08:05:43AM -0400, Christopher Hubbell wrote:
> Also, I've been trying to find something definitive about whether ACPI=20
> or APM is the way to go on the T23.  It's not a recent model, but not=20
> all that old either.   I'm looking for the solution which enables as=20
> much native thinkpad functionality as possible, but haven't found any=20
> solid references as to what's best suited to the T23.

I am using a 2.4.26 kernel with APM on my T23.  The following things work:
 - standby (Fn-F3)
 - suspend (Fn-F4; except when I have an Atheros WiFi card inserted)
 - hibernate (Fn-F12; requires a FAT partition with a hibernation file)
 - CPU frequency scaling (except that it breaks ALSA sound playback)

Ultra bay warm swapping mostly works -- I can swap CD drives while the
laptop is suspended.  Swapping CD with an Ultrabay disk drive doesn't
seem to work -- the laptop started beeping when I tried that, and I
hurriedly aborted the attempt.

Actually, I do not think that the last two items (cpufreq and ultrabay)
have anything to do with ACPI/APM at all.

APM does not let me see the detailed battery stats (voltage, wattage,
etc.), but that is the only enhancement ACPI would give me on this
Thinkpad model.  Unless there are other enhancements that I do not know
about.

Eventually I will migrate to a 2.6 kernel with ACPI, but I got the
impression on this list that Linux ACPI support is not quite there yet.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
Life begins when you can spend your spare time programming instead of
watching television.
                -- Cal Keegan

--wxDdMuZNg1r63Hyj

--wxDdMuZNg1r63Hyj--