[ltp] Cannot install debian on th 600e type 2645 - 55u

le bobby linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 15:16:02 +0200

Hi everyone, i'm knew on this ml.

I'm trying to install debian on this laptop (300MHz, 6.4GB,
196032kb, cdrom, no floppy).

I received it with w98 on the first partition while the second one was
used to backup data (both vfat).

So i moved all of my personal data on the second partition and then
installed a debian sarge on the first partition so i could plip the
data to an other notebook. everything went write.

then i decided to re-install but with better partitionning sheme. and
then the problems began.

i tried with a sarge-net-install which worked for the first
install and on other boxes, but now impossible to partition, the
system justfreezed and i had to unplug the battery to turn the damn
machine off!

so i tried with woody and the same problem occured, so i tried with
knoppix 3.4 and it work but only in the safemode mode. but it helped
because i could cat /proc/meminfo and /proc/cpuinfo to see that not
all the memory was recognized (20% only ) and that the cpu was at
70MHz instead of 300.

so i googled around and discovered that the th600e could have problems
when using lm-sensors. but i don't think i used it. anyway i also read
that a bios flash could help, so i did it and the bios is now updated
and memory and cpu are alright, if the "Easy Setup" is right.

i then tried again but didn't get it ok.

and now i really lost, help is welcome.

thanks

steve