[ltp] T41 and ndiswrapper: can get IP but no ping

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 01:07:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, Spiros Psarris wrote:

> Eben King wrote:
>
> > Have you considered http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net/ ?  Works for me
>
> Did you have to recompile the kernel?

It probably would work without doing so, but kernel recompilation
was on my to-do list anyhow.  It's no big deal, and it yields a
significantly smaller kernel (if you say "no" to drivers you don't need).

> I tried ipw2100 through Yast (which installs version 4.something),

Not sure where you're getting that number, but ipw2100 is up to v. 0.53,
and the kernel is up to 2.6.8.1 .

> but that acts the same way (router sees the latop, I get an IP, but
> can't ping). I tried the latest version of ipw2100, but the module won't
> load (pci_dma_sync_single is missing from the kernel, and I had thought
> I could get this working without recompiling the kernel).

SuSE patches interfering with it.  Skip them, and use the official source.

              An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of
               being called an idea at all.  -Oscar Wilde