[ltp] Re: [Ipw2100-devel] Re: [ACPI] ibm-acpi-0.3

Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:32:17 +0200

Hei,

> aw> Exactly. It seems that the wireless adaptor is always on, concerning the
> aw> hardware side, just like ethernet. It's the same with the atheros
> aw> module.
>
> In that context: what does the radio icon on my T41 mean?
> That WLAN is active, or that it is on?
> When I unload ipw2100, the icon goes off; but it could mean any of
> that.

Can't tell. Probably just that the driver is loaded.

Or then looked more closely...
With MadWifi (for Atheros) one needs to give a compile parameter
-DSOFTLED to make the LED work, which hints to that the LED is not
managed by hardware directly, but by software, which means that the
driver switches it on and off.
I didn't test this, but it seems as if you could compile MadWifi without
this option and get the same working driver just without the LED turning
on at all.

So conclusion is: the LED says nothing than that some bit somewhere is
set or unset, be there a driver or not. ;-)

André.