[ltp] Re: ACPI sleep on T30

Juergen Stuber linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:15:13 +0200

Hi,

Christopher Hubbell <cgh@rochester.rr.com> writes:

> Just wanted to follow up and confirm that on my T23 I was
> able to eliminate the problem of ACPI sleep (S3) working
> only the first time.  As suggested by another list
> subscriber I downloaded the latest kernel source from
> kernel.org (2.6.8) and the latest ACPI patch from acpi.org.
> Compiled a new kernel, rebooted, and bingo!  The default FC2
> 2.6.8 kernel definitely didn't work on its own.  Sleep works
> like a charm now no matter how many times I do it.  I did a
> few limited tests using ibm-acpi and as expected it easily
> brought to life all of my F-keys, and worked in perfect
> harmony with tpb which handles the colume controls and
> "thinkpad" button.

I tried it on a T30 (2366-085) with 2.6.9-rc1 which already contains
the latest acpi patch from
http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/lenb/acpi/patches/release/2.6.9/
(these patches are very small, am I missing something?).

% echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep

put the machine mostly to sleep
(after stopping mysql, but that is not T30-specific),
but the backlight stayed on and the image on the screen started
to "decay" from the lower right corner.
It awoke fine, but going into X then gave a totally garbled screen.
After a reboot X is working, I didn't yet do further trials with suspend.

The rest (temperature, battery status, ...) works fine as far as I can see.
I didn't yet try ibm-acpi.

Any ideas what went wrong?

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <juergen@jstuber.net>
http://www.jstuber.net/

Looking for consulting and project work in Linux: kernel, USB, embedded systems