[ltp] Re: Replace HD; T41p

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:07:49 +1000

On 26 Aug 2004, David Sudjiman wrote:
> I'm thinking to replace my 20 GB HD with the largest available one.
>
> http://www-605.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=-36&storeId=36&langId=036&dualCurrId=89&categoryId=13865529&productId=33023498
>
> (URL may wrap)
>
> However, this one cost me a lot of money (+- 700 AUD) compared to fujitsu
> HD (same volume for half the price).

That is true. IBM are not the least expensive option -- I can even cut
more off the price if I go to the "Computer Swap Meet" and buy from one
of the very inexpensive vendors there, but...

> Some of you might recommends to replace IBM-to-IBM stuff,

... IBM give an excellent warranty on their hardware and have given me
*no* trouble when the HDD developed bad sectors. Other vendors have been
consistently worse.

Also, note that IBM will courier a replacement hard drive direct to your
place of work, allowing you an (almost) zero downtime swap operation,
while other vendors typically require a return-to-base of the disk
before sending the replacement.

> if it is the solution, what will IBM do with my current HD data and
> the hidden recovery partition? can I just use norton ghost and have
> the the same partition table?

I don't know about a new hard disk, but for a replacement they send it
to you and the same courier takes the old disk away on the spot.

For a new disk they will presumably send you a blank hard disk, so you
can transfer the data across yourself.

> what about the second option, the fujitsu one? will ti do the same?
>
> BTW,
> 1. What so special about IBM HD and Fujitsu HD?

Nothing much, really. They do make very good laptop hard drives but, at
the end of the day, there isn't *that* much difference between them.

    Daniel
--
Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you.
        -- Carl Jung