[ltp] Suse 9.1 on Thinkpad r50p - wireless and power management issues

David linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:44:42 -0700

has anyone had any success on setting up Suse 9.1 on a Thinkpad r50p. I
am mostly running into issues setting up the wireless card and the power
management (like most people :-).

Suse seems to recognize my wireless card (Artheros 5212) and offers a
driver for it. However once I configure the card I cannot access even my
router whether it is through wifi or wired ethernet.

Taking down one interface does not make the other work again. It takes
me to go back to yast to remove the wireless to get the wired network to
work again... I haven't tried solutions like linuxant or ndiswrapper
yet, since I am still under the impression that the card is recognized
natively. Using iwconfig does not show any IP address for the wireless card.

The other issue has to do with power management. I am mostly interested
in the suspend/resume feature since I use this heavily with my laptop. I
did install the thinkpad packages that come with suse, but they do not
work for me.

Getting the power management to work is key for me to be able to use
linux on my laptop and any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,

david