[ltp] Re: CPUFreq

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 00:51:22 +1000

On 27 Aug 2004, T. Ivarsson wrote:
> [...]

That will be the ACPI 'P-state' support in the CPUFreq system, then.

> The Debian page about the powernowd says that it "does not depend on
> APM or ACPI". My question is: can I not use CPUFreq (and some deamon
> e.g. powernowd) when I'm running APM, or must I use ACPI?

That depends a bit on your hardware.  I use the 'speedstep' CPUFreq
support, which does not depend on APM or ACPI to function.

Either you have not loaded the right speedstep module[1], or your
hardware does not (or is not) support the right magic.

I would try loading the various CPUFreq speedstep modules first, though,
and see if any of those add the right magic.

         Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  I believe there is standard speedstep, which my P4M has, and
     "Enhanced SpeedStep" which Centrino chipsets support.

--
99 dreams I have had / In every one a red balloon
It's all over and I'm standing pretty / In this dust that was a city