[ltp] Re: How to replace HD Was: Replace HD; T41p

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:34:01 +1000

On 30 Aug 2004, David Sudjiman wrote:
> Thanks to everybody who had put efforts to answer my question.
>
> So, now I know that _the_expensive_ IBM notebook HD is acctually the same
> quality with another HD. I just had that info from the computer store too.
> What a surprise.

The same quality; warranty support may vary. :)

> Now, the question is a bit different. Just say that I have my 7200 RPM 80
> GB HD in hand. What should I do in order of preference to do replace my
> old HD?

The best option: start the old laptop, run your backup process, swap the
hard disks, then restore the backup to the new hardware.

Of course, if you don't have a bare metal recovery process then option
two is to obtain a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter (or two).  This allows you
to plug a laptop IDE disk into a standard desktop IDE cable -- it is
only the size of the connector that varies.

Then you can use whatever technique you like to transfer data from the
old hard disk to the new hard disk.

    Daniel
--
Adversity reminds men of religion.
        -- Titus Livius, _The History of Rome_, (59 BC-14 AD)