[ltp] Re: How to replace HD Was: Replace HD; T41p

Theodore Ts'o linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:33:12 -0400

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 05:34:01PM +1000, Daniel Pittman wrote:

> > Now, the question is a bit different. Just say that I have my 7200 RPM 80
> > GB HD in hand. What should I do in order of preference to do replace my
> > old HD?
>
> The best option: start the old laptop, run your backup process, swap the
> hard disks, then restore the backup to the new hardware.
>
> Of course, if you don't have a bare metal recovery process then option
> two is to obtain a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter (or two).  This allows you
> to plug a laptop IDE disk into a standard desktop IDE cable -- it is
> only the size of the connector that varies.

Another approach that works well is to get an Ultrabay adapter (about
$45), and put the new disk into the Ultrabay adapter, and then put
resulting package into your Thinkpad (assuming you have T, R, or A
series) or into the Thinkpad Dock/Mediaslice (if you have an X
series).

You can then transfer the data directly from one system to another,
either via an image copy (i.e., dd, or dd_rescue), or via a
filesystem-level copy (i.e., cp -r or tar/untar combination).

						- Ted