[ltp] connecting an internal SCSI drive?

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:23:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Ken Firestone wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Allen Knutson wrote:
>
>    My desktop died. What's involved in connecting its SCSI hard drive
>    to my Thinkpad X31? It doesn't have to be a long-term, pretty solution.
>
> 1. Get a pcmcia scsi controller card. Adaptec has been known to make
>    them.
>
> 2. Put the drive in a scsi case, so you can power it, and get access
>    to the drive. Yeah, I know there are other ways, but this is easy.
>
> 3. Connect everything up, and, if the scsi module is onboard, you
>    should be able to mount the drive.

OR:

1. Beg/borrow/buy/steal another desktop machine temporarily

2. Put a PCI SCSI card in it

3. Mount (physically), hook up, mount (logically) and share the drive

Which is easier to do depends on which is easier to get.  The PCMCIA
method will give faster throughput most likely.

Two atoms are walking along.  Suddenly, one stops.  The other says,
"What's wrong?" "I've lost an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"