[ltp] Re: connecting an internal SCSI drive?

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:12:29 +1000

On 31 Aug 2004, Eben King wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Aaron Mulder wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Eben King wrote:
>>> Which is easier to do depends on which is easier to get. The PCMCIA
>>> method will give faster throughput most likely.
>>
>> 	I dunno, the (Adaptec) PCMCIA SCSI card I have seemed mainly
>> intended to drive a scanner.  I don't think it let you connect all 7
>> devices (though I forget if it was actually limited to just 1) and I think
>> it was only 16-bit, even though Cardbus had been out for a while.
>
> I think even a slow locally-connected drive would be faster than one
> connected by a network.

Not always.  ISA cards, and 16-bit PCMCIA, top out at around five or six
megabytes per second. With laptops routinely shipping "gigabit"
Ethernet, where you can routinely see 40MB/second transfers, your
statement is no longer true. :)

          Daniel
--
Parents are often so busy with the physical rearing of children that they miss
the glory of parenthood, just as the grandeur of the trees is lost when raking