[ltp] Re: connecting an internal SCSI drive?

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 20:30:44 +1000

On 31 Aug 2004, Victor Pechorin wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 17:12, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>
>> megabytes per second. With laptops routinely shipping "gigabit"
>> Ethernet, where you can routinely see 40MB/second transfers, your
>> statement is no longer true. :)
>
> I am not so sure about it. This statement may be true only on a linear
> transfer of large files, for example DIVX movie... I think locally
> connected SCSI drive, even via 16-bit PCMCIA will be better on the short
> fragments. Random read/write operation will be significant better...

Actually, the truth is that it is hard to say, but you *usually* see
worse latency and equivalent bandwidth over a /decent/ gigabit network
as over a locally connected device on a poor bus.

So, yes, you certainly see a higher latency to the requests, so if you
are feeling that and remote device seek times then it is going to be
worse than just seek times.

For many applications, though, if you can cache the entire workload in
RAM on the combination of remote and local machine you can see better
performance.  Your network FS may change this, of course.

        Daniel
--
A wonderful discovery, psychoanalysis.
Makes quite simple people feel they're complex.