[ltp] Java , Xfontsel Crashes X Server

Osho GG linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 09:59:52 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I just installed Suse 9.1 Professional on my IBM
Thinkpad T42p laptop. It is working really great and I
am very happy with it. Except for one annoying
problem.

Ever time I run a webpage with java applet in it, X
crashes. I get back at the kdm login screen. I can not
find any error message in /var/log/XFree86*. This
happens irrespective of whether I run java applet in
mozilla, konqueror or firefox. I tried all three of
them with the same result.

I also tried running the browser in vncserver that is
supplied with Suse 9.1. I got the same error. The
Vncserver crashes.

I also discovered by accident that if I open xfontsel
and then try to select most fonts, say bitstream
charter, arial etc. - that also crashes X server. If I
select fonts like fixed, mono etc. xfontsel does not
crash X server. I repeated the same experiments with
xfontsel running inside of vncserver (supplied with
Suse 9.1) and I got the same crashes.

I tried installing a new vncserver from
http://www.realvnc.com and there are no more crashes
while running java applets or xfontsel inside the
realvnc vncserver.

I am using XFree86-4.3.99.902-43.28 supplied with Suse
9.1 I have ATI's Mobility FireGL 2 card for which I am
using ATI's fglrx drivers. I tried using XFree86's
radeon driver instead of fglrx but they also gave the
same crashes.

I have some critical corporate applications that
require java applets so this is a real annoying
problem for me (with the only workaround is to run
them in realvnc vncserver - which is not very
convenient). I would appreciate any thoughts on how to
solve this.

thanks,
Osho