[ltp] HDD tickers

Dale Amon linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 17:54:23 +0000

--maH1Gajj2nflutpK

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 12:03:19PM -0500, Nathaniel Robert Smith wrote:
> I too had a hdd replaced, in my T41. My current drive will make a tick
> noise about once a second or so when what I think it does is spin up. So
> far, I have not had any hard drive problems. What happened with my first
> drive was windows boot times began to take forever, except when I did
> weird things with some pre-loading cleaner or something. (It was a program
> m$ no longer provides, but you hear about it helping fix boot speed, and
> can download it from various places). I'm afraid beyond boot times, I
> don't remember if the failed drive made any weird noises.
>=20
> -Nate
>=20
> > Dear list,
> >
> > my HDD on the TP T42 does occasionally some tickering. Does someone come
> > up with that "noise" as well?
> >
> > It is my second HDD, the first HDD was changed because of the same
> > noises and the IBM-people sent me a new HDD.
> > I am not quite sure if it is the correct behavoir of the hdd.
> >
> > Any comments on this?
> >
> > Cheers
> > 	Stephan

I would run smartd and see if it is logging indications
of pending failure.

--=20
   Dale Amon     amon@islandone.org    +44-7802-188325
       International linux systems consultancy
     Hardware & software system design, security
    and networking, systems programming and Admin
	      "Have Laptop, Will Travel"

--maH1Gajj2nflutpK

--maH1Gajj2nflutpK--