[ltp] IBM to sell its PC business

Patrick Huber linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 19:45:25 +0100

Really bad news, I'm afraid. If IBM hadn't done this I'd now say my next
notebook is a TP because it's reliable, robust... everything I want. But now
I'm not so sure anymore. Time will tell what direction quality will go.

--

As of "geiz ist geil" here's my try of translating this to english (native
german speaker here)

geizig is the adjective to describe someone who not spending money. If he were
your employer you'd have a reeeeally low salary. Think of Dagobert Duck -
he's geizig.

Geil - say 50+ year ago this meant something like fructous
(http://dict.leo.org/se?p=5qvU.&search=fruchtbar). Today it means cool. If
something's geil, then an english speaker would say something's
cool/hot/nice/sweet... whatever. Geil also means horny in a different
context.

So, geiz ist geil just means: saving money is cool (geil even has a touch of
'trendy' in this context).