[ltp] IBM to sell its PC business

Winsley von Spee linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 03 Dec 2004 20:15:19 +0100

Am Freitag, den 03.12.2004, 12:10 -0500 schrieb Matt Graham:
> On Friday 03 December 2004 11:45, after a long battle with technology,
> Winsley von Spee wrote:
> > Am Freitag, den 03.12.2004, 08:30 -0800 schrieb Michelle Klein-Hass:
> >> Remember the i-series ThinkPads? The ones that Acer designed and
> >> built and IBM just slapped a badge on? That's where the line is
> >> headed. Nobody else is going to care about the ThinkPad legacy like
> >> IBM does.
> > That would be to bad. The problem is, that IBM's job is too make
> > money and in these day you can not do big money with good products.
> > Quality is expensive and the People want something cheap perhaps just
> > because it's cheap.
>
> @#$%!.  A lot of people don't understand that product value and product
> cost are not the same thing.  Buy a Foo for $10, it works, but you have
> to replace it after 6 months.  Buy a Bar for $50, it works, but you
> have to replace it after 3 years.  Is Foo or Bar a better value?  Duh!
> Yet people still buy cheap crap.
>
> If this means that x86 laptops with Trackpoints disappear, I'm going to
> be very irritated.
>
> > Here in Germany there is an electronic discounter wich claims
> > "costiveness is horny".
>
> ?  "Costiveness" isn't a word, and "horny" is... not usually associated
> with electronics.  What's the original German for that?
>
> --
>    "Unfortunately, men befriend women in futile attempts to get a 3D
>    accelerated video card thingy..." -- MegaHAL (trained on ASR),
>    1998-11-05
> There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see

Sorry for "costiveness is horny" ;). In German it's "Geiz is Geil" you
can translate ist with cheap is good but it sound much more kitchy
(excuse again when kitchy is wrong at this place again).

But that's the point they are making a very big marketing campaign and
it seems to be working. Every time i see this advertising i shiver with
this. And every time someone asks about the price of my thinkpad they
are smiling at me and tell me then that they saw an Acer notebook with
an 2.4 Ghz Processor and its either a Celeron or a Pentium 4. That's
very disappointing. But there a lot more things working like this.
Broadband Internet access for example and even raw meet seems to sell
better with "Geiz is Geil".

The very very bad point is that companys does not do this for fun. They
are doing it because they think thats the best way for making money and
they are spending a lot of money to find out whats the best way to make
money.

Are there so many dumb people or does I got something wrong ???

Greetz