[ltp] IBM to sell its PC business

Michelle Klein-Hass linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 15:47:48 -0800

On Friday 03 December 2004 01:07 pm, Sample User wrote:
> I have an IBM Thinkpad 760XL - still kickin' =)  (Made in 1997)
> (Using it now to send this e-mail - gotta love IBM for quality)
>
> What will be the best laptop to buy when this happens? (Assuming the brand
> thinkpad goes down the drain =(
>
> Would Mac compare?

Absolutely. In a world without ThinkPads, the only thing left is Apple. Yes,
there are other makes and models of laptop, but they are not comparable in
quality to either IBM-designed ThinkPads or Apple PowerBooks and iBooks.
Apple occasionally has weird QC problems, but then again I have a 600e,
complete with the problems with the battery and charging system. Nothing's
perfect.

Also, MacOS X is a great *NIX. It's based on the Mach microkernel and the
FreeBSD userland at this point, although I think there are still aspects of
OpenStep still running in Panther. All that plus the famous Mac GUI...it
rocks.

I have tons of old Macs. Most need some restoration, but all of them boot.
Apple makes things to last. My G3 Blue-And-White minitower still feels like
it did when it was brand spanking new shipped over from Cupertino in 1999. It
still feels faster than a lot of newer x86 machines I've worked with.

Take care,
Michelle
--
Michelle Klein-Hass