[ltp] IBM to sell its PC business

Kurt Hansen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 04 Dec 2004 17:13:36 -0500

>Actually my favorite pointing device ever to show up in a laptop was the
>trackball in the really old-school PowerBook 1xx series and the PowerBook Duo
>series. Sweet! I now use Logitech Marble Mice on all my desktops. I love them
>for FPS games...smooth as silk, natural to use. It would rock if someone
>brought back a Duo-sized trackball in a laptop design.

Here, here!!! Those trackballs integrated with the keyboard were the
best pointing device ever invented. Touchpads, trackpoint, separate
trackballs, even optical mice don't compare to those.

I've always wondered why Apple replaced them with an inferior solution
-- and why no one else picked it up. My guess is they take up too much
space on laptops. But, boy, would I really like to see those back.

Take care,

Kurt Hansen