[ltp] Resume hangs on X30 with 2.6.9

Heiko Rosemann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 5 Dec 2004 13:09:04 +0100

Hi there,

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 03:24:36 -0700, Nathan Kurz <nate@verse.com> wrote:
> Hello --
>
> I have a Thinkpad X30 that I'm trying to get working with the 2.6.9
> kernel and a Slackware 10 distribution.  Most things have been working
> smoothly, but I'm having a lot of problems with hibernation and
> suspend.  But should I even expect these two to work?  In the archives
> and on the web I can find people who have these working fully with an
> X30 and an older series kernel, or with this kernel and a more modern
> machine, but I haven't found anyone claiming this exact setup works.
>
> 1) Is there anyone out there running the X30/2.6.9 setup with success?

Yes, me. With a Slackware 9.1, FWIW. ;-)

> I've tried both APM and ACPI, and have the same major problem with
> both: suspend or hibernate appears to work, but the machine hangs when
> I try to resume, requiring me to hold down the power button and force
> a hard reboot.  I've seen many other people expressing this problem,
> but haven't found any direct claims of fixing it.
>
> 2) Has anyone had hangs on resume and later found a solution to it?

I've had hangs with sleep, that were fixed by using
acpi_sleep=S3_bios. Hibernation always worked for me - with latest
ACPI patch, latest swsusp-patch and latest hibernate-script at the
time I compiled my kernel (which was Thu Oct 28 02:19)

Let me know if you'd like to get my kernel .config or any other information...

> 3) Are there other outside reasons to choose either APM or ACPI?

I chose ACPI because of the far better battery information. All the
other hardware/system information is much better than you can get with
APM, too (i.e. hotkeys, ThinkLight, processor temperature...)

HTH, Heiko