[ltp] wireless config problem (TP40 SuSE 9.2 ipw2100)

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 5 Dec 2004 15:56:06 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004, Tim Prince wrote:

> At 10:14 AM 12/5/2004, Eben King wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 5 Dec 2004, Tim Prince wrote:
> >
> > > I've got to the point where it boots up with encryption enabled, attaches
> > > to my access point, and gets a DHCP assignment.  That was a
> > > struggle.  Still, no apparent connection to internet.  Could it be a
> > router
> > > firewall setting?
> >
> >If you can ping hosts on your LAN but not beyond, I'd suspect your default
> >gateway is wrong.  It should be set to the IP address of your router.
>
> I can ping the default gateway (as reported when in Windows) by IP, so I
> added that IP to the wireless card configuration in YaST, but I still don't
> get beyond the (Windows) machine which is directly attached to the
> router.  /etc/resolv.conf is left empty.
>
> Thanks for help so far.

If your LAN looks like this:

( internet )

 router (A)

  Windows
machine (B)

  you (C)

then A is B's gateway, and B is C's gateway.

Two atoms are walking along.  Suddenly, one stops.  The other says,
"What's wrong?" "I've lost an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"