[ltp] Processor architecture change causes kernel panic

Nathan Kurz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 5 Dec 2004 14:13:04 -0700

On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 10:47:02PM +0200, Niel Lambrechts wrote:

> > > To me it seems that mkinitrd includes the reiserfs module from the
> > > _old_ i686 kernel in the initrd image. How would I change
> > initrd and
> > > reiserfs to work with the new kernel architecture?
> >
> > did you recompile your modules as well?
> >
> > Andr?.
> >

> I did:
> make
> make modules_install
> mkinitrd -s 1024x768 -k "bzImage.2.6.8-24.5-default" -i "initrd"

Did you do a 'make install', or otherwise move the new kernel into place?
Could you accidentally be using the old kernel with the new modules?

> Afaik, on 2.6 you don't have to do make modules any more?

Yes, this is true.

--nate

  Sorry if these things are too basic for you.  Although I haven't
  been using an initrd, I've just recently been recompiling my kernel
  a lot and making similar silly mistakes with similar symptoms.